So much going on at once

If you’ve found this, you either have waaaay too much time on your hands and need to get up from your computer before you find the end of the internet (less likely) or have a vested interest in my family’s well being (probable). Thank you for caring!

For now, we’ll be tracking my dad’s journey from the brink of leaving us for good (not exaggerating — he said so himself) to what we hope is a healthy, happy recovery.

A few ground rules:

Please be patient with me. I’m not always at the hospital, and even when I am I don’t always get information very quickly. I’m doing the best I can to keep up with everything my dad is going through while keeping myself as healthy as I can. Maybe once dad is better, I can tell you about that journey!

Please keep family business to a minimum in the comments. I’m not going so far as to use pseudonyms, but I will if people start abusing privacy or personal integrity on here. If you have a private question to ask, please contact me or my mom.

Please do not send my dad flowers. He’s allergic!

Ok, now to the news as I know it right now.

Dad is still in the hospital. I’ve lost track of how many days it’s been now, but it’s pretty much the entire month of June. He has been in and out of ICU, progressive care and surgical wards. Here’s the quick and dirty. 

  • He has had 3 separate surgical procedures, 2 on his foot and 1 on his back.
  • He was diagnosed at one point with endocarditis, but that seems to have abated.
  • His kidneys, once at terrifying performance levels, have stabilized, at least as of surgery this morning.
  • His blood pressure is moderately high, which is a big change from the dangerously low blood pressure he had just a week ago.
  • His diabetes numbers have fluctuated wildly for the last 3 weeks. Personally, I think this is because of the crazy feeding/insulin schedule the hospital uses, but that’s a topic for another day.
  • The back surgery he had today removed two pus-filled cysts from his spine. They’re going back in tomorrow to “clean out the wound” because there was bacteria in the cysts. (That’s right. Bacteria on his spine. Eww.)
  • He still has a chest infection and sounds like he could literally cough up a lung.
  • He has zero appetite. If you know my dad at all, that’s the scariest part of this whole thing.

So there you have it. You’re as up to speed, in broad strokes at least, as I am. Once I learn more about his condition after surgery and what happens with the cleanout, I’ll be back to report!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s